Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Another Post About the Kick-Assitude of Women

As I've alluded to in previous posts, I've been going solo this week while Paul takes a business trip to Hawaii. That is, aside from my juiced bodyguard, in the event you are a creep and you are reading this.


Here we are after I dropped Owen off at preschool. 

I don't love it when Paul is gone. He's my best friend, and the boys love their daddy.
Yet, these periods when Paul travels remind me of my inner capability and strength. I can do bedtime and middle of the night and meal prep and discipline and hugs and kisses, and I can do it pretty damn well. My boys are content and joyful and just remarkable little people. 

It feels good to know that if I had to--God forbid--I could raise remarkable men on my own. 

I really don't want to, but I could. These roots are strong. 

I have that feminine strength that I honor when I think of my mother, who is celebrating her birthday today. I think of my girlfriends who face infertility, illness, change, heartbreak and life in general with dignity and perseverance. I think of those mothers, some as young as eighteen, who took my English classes when I taught at the community college, and spent their evenings working towards a future, for themselves, for their children. 

Also, because clearly this has been my kick this week, I think of Mary.

I also am humbled by my friends, and the way they care for me so tenderly. My friend who invited us over for dinner one night, because she knows that evenings are hard. My friends who took their cranky tribes to my house on Wednesday, so I could feed them Shepherd's Pie and again, break up the evening haul. My friend, who took Owen over to her neighborhood and entrusted him with the important task of making the lemonade. 

He's still talking about that lemonade. 

The universe is so abundant. People are so good.

And, oh these boys. There are no words to explain how I love them. My eyes well up as I sit here, eating my spinach dip and drinking my Pinot Grigio, just humbled that I am allowed to live and breathe and exist with these miracles. 






And finally, there's you.  I posted every day this week, which is possibly more than necessary. But you listened. You commented. Your virtual arms are strong, and I am grateful. So very, very grateful.

The universe is abundant indeed.

24 comments:

The Rambler said...

Always here with ya!

The first time my husband left for a business trip, I was so freaked out. BUT THAT trip made me realize how much I really can do.

Hugs and hugs!! Your boys have a wonderful (and funny...not looking, funny haha) mother.

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Happy birthday to your mama. She passed on some great genes there!

We women are indeed amazing.

Robin said...

Thats really beautiful..the new layout is bold and brilliant, and the pics are perfect..Im sensing pure joy at Away We Go....and that is good..!

cheatymoon said...

Love the new header. Great post, too. It's amazing what we can do. :-)

Coby said...

Love the new background, header, etc. Very springy.

I didn't like being without my husband when we didn't have kids; I HATE it now that we do. I've come to depend on him and love him that much more. He'll be in your area at the beginning of summer, and I'll be jealous that you'll be closer to him than I will.

It's pretty remarkable to find out what you're capable of when you dig deep - like you said - the meal prep, discipline, middle of the night AND, might I add, you survived Chuck E. Cheese. You rock.

Cat said...

I get the feeling you can do anything you want to. Glad you're getting a chance to show yourself, even if you'd much rather have Paul home.

Lothiriel said...

It's pretty and fancy up in here!

My husband has been traveling since we got married so I'm used to it. We still remain strong and in love (with the normal problems of a normal marriage, but in love).

erika said...

You absolutely do kick ass. You are raising two amazing little boys with lots and lots of love, you notice the miracle in the mundane, and you don't take the gift in your life for granted - and you have the energy to blog about it.

Happy birthday Nancy's Mom!

Unknown said...

LOVE the new layout!!
Great job, Darlin.
Wonderful post!
You're so amazing, seriously.
Loving the pics as well, so adorable ♥

Formerly known as Frau said...

I used to hate when my hubby traveled but once I got into a routine it was nice every now and than. I love making breakfast for dinner it was a house without structure! Have a wonderful weekend.

Sonya said...

Oooh love the new layout and header! We are strong for sure. I spent alot of alone time when my husband worked ont he road..he was gone for months sometimes. It's so nice to have friends around you, gently sweeping in and helping when it's needed the most.

Ms. Moon said...

When my children were little I resented (yes, that is the word) every moment my husband was away and especially if he was away doing something fun. But then he started having to go away on business every other week for a few days and the children were older and before I knew it, those were my easy days. My easy nights. My greatest joy was when I had read in bed until my eyes would not focus, just setting that book down on his side of the bed and turning out the light and going straight to sleep, that fast.
It is a good thing to have time to yourself, such as it is with children.
I, too, love the new lay-out, the new picture.
You have a beautiful place which is a joy to visit.

Mel said...

Ditto on the new layout, it's lovely. You can feel the love oozing out of the pictures, and of course your boys are adorable. Sometimes life is very, very good, yes? It's a good thing to know how strong you are, how deep your roots go. And good friends, and spinach dip with Pinot Grigio are icing on the kick ass cake!

Stephanie said...

Awesome post! And I am liking the new layout, too.

Bekah said...

You continue to amaze me, and remind me that I am pretty amazing, too. Thanks.

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

I love the new look of your bloggy!! It's adorable. And this is a beautiful post. It's not easy doing it alone when the hubs is gone, but you have a fabulous attitude and your boys are precious!

LB said...

Wow, you look like Britney Spears in that picture! Very cute dress...

Love the new layout, btw. Hopefully, Paul will come home and surprise you with a spa day all to yourself. It could happen...

Rebecca said...

Loved the photo of the kids one walking the other on a bike.....so sweet are those tiny walking legs.

Adoption of Jane said...

Lovin' the new look!! How do your children manage to get cuter each post??

Joanna Jenkins said...

Yeah YOU! This is a wonderful post! Life is good.
Happy weekend and hope Paul is home soon.
jj

Claudya Martinez said...

You kick ass!

This being a competent woman thing is hard, but oh so wonderful.

Marla said...

You got it right, sister! Good for you and great post.

Bethany said...

Great post. I'm so glad you have such fine friends and realize how strong you are.

Bethany said...

Oh and of course your amazing kiddos.