Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Bloom

Well. This is what 35 looks like, I guess:
 

Many years ago, on March 5, 1770, The Boston Massacre helped spark the American Revolution. Of equal importance to the American Way of Life, I was born in Phoenix, Arizona on March 5, 1975. 

I am 35 years old.

I already said that, didn't I? 

I guess I'm wrapping my head around the idea. 

***
Last night, I heard Owen and Paul talking and scheming in the bathroom. There were furtive whispers and the crackling of paper. Finally, Owen emerged and said, "Mommy, I'm not supposed to talk to you about the surprise flowers."

Paul laughed. "Nice secret-keeping, Buddy."

This morning, Owen pulled this out of the bathtub for me: 


My sweet boys. 
***
I bought this a few months after Joel was born in an attempt to kick my postpartum self into shape:


Jillian Michaels snarls a lot, and she's not there to play. 
I think I did this DVD twice, and was subsequently distracted by cheese popcorn and the most recent episode of "Kendra."

A little over a year later, Owen discovered the DVD and asked if he could do "The Shred." 

We set it up, and gave him some Lego weights. 


Here is he doing squats. 
Here's some push-ups.

He really likes it. He has asked to do it every day. I joined him the other night:

I like that it burns off some energy.

I'm not sure I'm as fond of my preschooler snarling, "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

***
I believe that plants are always the perfect gift. Always. My friend dropped off these sweet little flowers for me:
 
A question for my green-thumbed readers: Is it okay to plant these in a Mid-Atlantic March? I really want to put them in the ground and watch them bloom. 
 
After all, isn't that what people do? We bloom. We grow. And every year gets better and better. 

I believe that. I hope you do too. 

Mommy's Idea



27 comments:

Mel said...

Happy Birthday. You look great for 35. I'd wait a few weeks to plant them, but I'm a pessimist and have been burned before. Of course I live 2 zones colder than you now, so I have a while to wait. They are lovely. So is your gift and your boys. I love the interlude pic, just didn't get around to commenting. Happy Friday, Happy Day!

My Life in Purple said...

Happy Birthday!!

Do you know who you remind me of in that pic? Alex Borstein. Do you know who I mean? "He loooook like a man" Okay, if you don't know who she is, that made no sense.

http://www.superiorpics.com/pictures2/Borstein_JS52007.jpg

Anyway, enough about me being a lunatic, you look great at 35. You are bloomin'.

Love the purple flowers too :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! 35 looks great on you!
ps-i'd wait on the flowers.

Caution/Lisa said...

I used to be 35 and I didn't look as good as you do! Happy, happy birthday. Love your boy working out. Tell him not to come to my house. I don't want any motivational guilt.

Liz Mays said...

Happy Birthday!!! You are a beautiful 35! And why don't kids see how mean Jillian is? Because she IS!

Rebecca said...

I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb is to wait until after Mother's Day for planting anything in the ground. I live in Missouri......that's the rule here.

LB said...

Happy birthday, sister! I'm pretty sure Jillian Michaels hates everyone.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Happy Friday Fragments and a VERY HAPPY 35TH BIRTHDAY. I hope it's a wonderful day and a fantastic year for you.

Cheers,
jj

Cat said...

Happy birthday!!! You look great!

Here I was hoping "Pain is weakness leaving the body" would be Boy's first catch phrase...

Corrie Howe said...

Happy Birthday. Love the picture of you and Owen doing the shred. I love the blue flowers too! I can't keep a plant alive to save myself.

Bekah said...

Happy birthday! I'm right behind you- 34 this coming Tuesday. Blehhh.

Wait on the flowers.

Danifred said...

Happy Birthday!
Love the pictures of you guys working out! So awesome.
Thanks for stopping by Leftovers.

Laura said...

Pain is just weakness leaving the body...unfortunately my hubs says the same thing to me. Annoying!

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Happy Happy birthday Nancy!!! I hope your day has been full of fun!

And girl, you ARE lookin' good for 35! Just keep up The Shred! It certainly seems to be workin' for your boy!

Oh, and I'm here with mom reading over my shoulder (I wish I were kidding). She says if you plant the flowers now, they'll be good through about June. Good luck with that. Her advice is free this once.

michelle said...

Happy Birthday Nancy C.!!!
My most awesome husband has a birthday today as well.

We absolutely bloom and grow but if you plant those lovely flowers outside now, they'll most certainly freeze and die.

Mother's Day is a much better bet, I think.

Gifts from the kids are ALWAYS THE BEST

Marla said...

Happy 35th Birthday to You!!!!! You look Fabulous!!!!

Ms. Moon said...

Awww. You're darling. And remember- in my experience, the forties-decade is the best for a woman. Seriously.
Pansies are pretty hardy. I think you could plant them but don't blame me if they die!
Happy Birthday, sweet woman. Enjoy it all.

June said...

Happy birthday!! Looking good for 35. And it all goes to hell from here on out. (JK!)

I love flowers and can't wait to start planting.

Jillian drives me crazy! I actually go to the menu and opt to turn her talking off and just listen to the music. Makes it a little easier...

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Hope you had a great day filled with lots of love.

(I love the secret flowers!)

Sonya said...

Happy Birthday! I turned 35 in december..I still cant not believe it. I have grey hairs too..this move we made 3 years ago has taken it's toll on me..lol
Im not sure u are supposed to plant those yet..is your frost all gone? google it! I google everything..lol

Claudya Martinez said...

Feliz Cumpleaños, Beautiful! My daughter makes me do the Jillian Michaels work out. She invented her own sign to communicate that's what she wants me to do. She crosses her arms in from of her chest and makes grunting sounds. I did it today.

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday Nancy! 35 is looking fantastic on you, youngin.
Love this post. Beautiful flowers and sweet happy plant. Wait to put it out. I'd like you to be able to enjoy it all season.
Love the exercising!!!!
So cute.
You too.
Hope you got to eat some cake too, you deserve it after facing Jillian.

cheatymoon said...

Happy birthday. You look great!

AudreyO said...

I missed your birthday. I hope you had an amazing day :)

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

Happy Birthday, my bloggy bestie!! You look fabulous. Are you sure you aren't 25? What a great day and I love the way little ones keep their secrets. Isn't it adorable?

Robin said...

Happy Birthday..Hello beautiful woman...35 looks fantastic to me..!! Hope you had a great Bday..Enjoy YoUr DaY..!

Traci said...

Sorry I am so late in saying -- Happy, Happy Birthday!!!! I hope it was great. And remember this -- you're always younger than me.
:-)
Traci