Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Playing in the Mud and Making More Birthdays

Yesterday, I played in the mud. And it was glorious.

I participated in the Maryland Warrior Dash, a three mile cross-country race with obstacles, including swinging tires, a rope lader, barbed wire, a wet slide, fire, and yes, a mud pit.

I told friends that if they donated money to Relay for Life, I would wear whatever they wanted on a t-shirt.
This says, "Tiger Blood Fueled Rapture Survivalist."

I ran as much as I could, although I was often knee-deep in mud.

Paul said I should have been swimming in it. Mud pit fail.

This is water, not beer. It was 9:30 in the AM. I waited until 10.

Another thing I did this weekend was become a member of the National Marrow Donor Program. A former co-worker of mine is fighting Leukemia, and he needs a bone marrow transfusion. His family members are sadly,  not matches. 

I had the four corners of my mouth swabbed, and I am now a member of the registry. My records are available for anybody needing a bone marrow transplant until I am 61 years old. I may be called tomorrow. I may be called in five years. I might never be called.

But if I am? It will make all the difference in the world. Please consider joining the Be The Match registry. It's free, it's quick, and it can create many more birthdays for some lovely people.

So, how was your weekend?

17 comments:

Ash said...

Ha!! Look at you - fantastic! About waiting until 10, oh and the donor thing :) That looks like so much fun. Bet your shower was interesting.

I'm on the registry as well. Was tested for my friend who passed away in January. She was fortunate and found a match (in your neck of the woods, btw). That angel gave us five+ more years. Here's to hoping for that day when we won't need the registry.

Galit Breen said...

You? Are pure amazing! PURE amazing! Way to go, lady! On all counts! XO

Ms. Moon said...

Beautiful dirty girl.

Joann Mannix said...

Hi Lady! I'm back and so glad to be here.

That looked like spectacular fun. I have always wanted to wallow in mud.

I am registered as a bone marrow donor. I did it about 4 years ago, when one of my best friend's sons needed a bone marrow match to defeat his leukemia. I have never been called, but I would be honored to help if that call ever comes.

My friend's son, by the way, is in college now and in complete remission.

Julie said...

Oh my god I love you.

Even more now.

(and it's 9:50 AM so I haven't even had any beer...)

CDG @ Move Over Mary Poppins! said...

You are one foxy live-saving, tigerblood fueled Mama!

That's a race I might consider doing. Mud is fun!

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! You rock!

Cheryl said...

You are a dirty girl, aren't you...

Looks like fun and good for you!!

Kori said...

That looks like a blast-what a great stress reliever! And for a good cause as well-how can you go wrong? And I personally LOVE the shirt. :)

Rebecca said...

Assuming the Maryland Warrior Dash is in Maryland........I'm wondering if you live in Maryland...for some reason I imagined you living more north......??

Coby said...

So. Totally. Awesome. I love the shirt!

I joined the registry in college. So far I've never been called, but it's nice to know that if someone needs my marrow, I'm on the list.

Tracie Nall said...

That shirt is too hilarious!

You are a rockstar - mud pit and all.

I'm going to check out the registry. I didn't know that you could get your info put on file like that. fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know someone could look that good being that dirty. Yea, I said it.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Wow - you are amazing!

I joined the registry while completing a chaplaincy rotation at the City of Hope when I was in rabbinical school. There was just no way to see so many struggling for life and not join.

Minivan Lover said...

Way to go on all fronts! :)

Cat said...

Very cool! Love the shirt :-)

Erin said...

Mud looks good on you! And I do want to become a part of the marrow donor...going to check out how to do it locally.