Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sequels and Nonsense

On Friday, I wrote a post about dying my hair. The story is featured at The Red Dress Club today if you would like to read it. (And I'm honored to be there).

Several people asked me to post pics, but the fact of the matter is, the events described happened over a year ago. I haven't had my hair dyed or highlighted since Thanksgiving.

That is, until Saturday. Finding myself with a free morning, I drove myself to Food Lion to buy hair dye. I picked out a color that looked crazy, flaming red.

After the fact, it still looks kinda brown. I believe the universe wants me to have brown hair. But at least the cost was $8 instead of over $100.

(I tried to post pics. Blogger is being evil. Again.)

***
Knock Knock jokes have hit our house hard. Both boys love them. Here's one from Joel:


Joel: Knock Knock, Who's There?
Me: Who's there, Joely?
Joel: Flower!
Me: Flower who?
Joel: Flower going to step on your face!

Owen goes for a subtler approach:

Owen: Knock Knock
Me: Who's there?
Owen: Dragon
Me: Dragon who?
Owen: Dragon going to throw a squid at you!

***
Just now, as I was typing this, I felt something squishy on the chair. I picked it up, thinking to myself, "I hope this isn't a piece of shit."

Thankfully,  it was just play-dough.

***
Over the weekend, I went to my friend's beach cabin on the Chesapeake with three other girlfriends. We drank sangria by a bonfire and walked up and down the shores of my beloved bay. It was all quite lovely.

That is, until the horseshoe crabs started humping. That's some prehistoric flailing right there.

***
I had a thought the other day. What if I didn't need or expect praise for the things I do? Wouldn't that be liberating? To do things just because I love them, or know that it's the right thing? To expect nothing in return? To live life without expecting others to comment?

I realize that most adults already think this way, but it still was a revelation for me.

***
Yesterday, The Red Dress Club memoir prompt asked us to share something we knew by heart. The first thing that came to mind for me was the Arizona Public Service Announcement about Hepatitis. This aired on TV in the early eighties. It came on during airings of a local kid's program, Wallace and Ladmo.  My brother and I know every word to this day.

Here's a twangy version I found on youtube:



***
I'm not sure there's much that can follow up the Hepatitis Song. I bid you all a lovely Wednesday, free of hurt tummies or yellow eyes.

17 comments:

VictoriaKP said...

Oh yes, the knock knock joke phase! In this house EVERY single one involved the words poop or fart.

Boys!

Ms. Moon said...

I don't know that any of us who live and breathe don't need validation. Maybe not approval or praise, but validation.
Horseshoe crabs ARE prehistoric and the do like to have beach sex, don't they?

Gretchen said...

I totally remember that Hepatitis song. I haven't thought of it since my kids stopped wearing diapers!:)

TKW said...

Congrats on being featured at The Red Dress Club! Miss M. is in the knock-knock joke phase and none of them are even the least bit funny. It's making me nuts!

Jenny said...

Congratulations! And I'm still in the knock knock phase. Don't panic but some of us NEVER grow out of it.

Anonymous said...

You had me at prehistoric flailing. The Hepatitis Song? Icing on the cake.

Caution/Lisa said...

I did my own color last week and got very confused and mixed up the order of a couple of things and mixed a couple of things that were to be done separately. It is the best color I've ever had for $8 and now I wish I could remember how I did it.

Anonymous said...

I despise knock, knock jokes. Simeon's most recent:

Knock, knock
Who's there
Banana
Banana who?
Banana t-shirt!

WTF?!

Also, the hepititis song is hilarious! In highschool, my best friend and I made up a song about venerial diseases. We really cracked ourselves up.

Apparently, my humor has sophisticated not one bit.

Maggie May said...

i'm glad it wasn't a piece of shit! hah!

Kim said...

We too have hit the knock knock phase. I'm delighted that Deaglan has a sense of humour but oh the repetition! I recently started dying my hair and I feel so proud of the money we're saving. Only I'm constantly reminding my husband what a good, selfless thing I'm doing here. He's not reacting enough for my liking.

I hear you on the writing/commenting thing. I'm reading Bird-by-Bird finally and it dawned on me how little feedback most writers I love have ever had before being published. And here I am feeling sulky and unread if people don't react to something I write. It's a different thing, writing on this platform. Drinking sangria with the girls on the bay. Jealous!

Anonymous said...

So envious of your beach getaway. Prehistoric flailing bwaahaaahaaa.

xo

Claudya Martinez said...

I often find myself picking up things and hoping they are not shit. I'm often disappointed.

Tracie Nall said...

My husband and I watched the special Hepatitis song video together - and he is in a state of "freaked" right now, which he has explained to me is one step beyond scared. How special that they played that every day during your children's show.

Congrats on being featured over at TRDC. How awesome.

I went red for a year, and really loved it, until my hair started coming apart....then began the year of growing out the red (which was no fun at all!)

Knock Knock jokes are HUGE at my house right now. My daughter's current favorite?
Knock Knock - who's there- Justin -Justin who?- JustIN time for dinner! (followed by much giggling on her part)

I'm SO glad it was just play-doh!

Ash said...

"I realize that most adults already think this way, but it still was a revelation for me."

I guarentee 90% of the adults in this world have yet to reach this level of thought.

I agree, being validated is important, but praise, I believe the best place to find that is inside. Watch a child accomplish a task while you're out of his line of site. The pride! I love that. Too many people must find that somewhere else, including myself. I'm working on it for sure.

Sorry I took comments to he serious side. Your snippet will stay with me for a very long time.

Same with the being "thankful it wasn't shit" line. I love you.

Julie said...

HOW did I miss the Hepatitis Song as a child?

I feel cheated. Cheated, I say!

The lyrics are brilliant; and yet somehow I managed to decide to wash my hands after changing my children's diapers without the excellent advice of this PSA.

so thank you for this reinforcement of my good habits.

And now I'm off to read your Red Dress Club post.

Congrats, my lady. Well-deserved, I'm sure.

Minivan Lover said...

That's interesting, something you know by heart- the Itsy Bitsy Spider comes to mind first, but that seems a bit lackluster... :)

Denise said...

I giggled and snorted throughout this post.

Your realization about recognition--I try to daily to do things for my own edification but fall flat, daily, as I continue to seek approval. Sigh. I'm in the same boat.