Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Draped Like a Benediction

While in the bitter midst of his second time out, my youngest decided to tear all the sheets off his bed.

Walking into his room, I saw the mess, and my chest caved. The heaviness. Oh, the heaviness.

Sometimes, there's so much to carry. So much to clean.

I should have made him make his own bed. Or, even better, left him to sleep on a bare, cold mattress. That would be all Love-and-Logic-y.

Unmake your own bed, now sleep in it.

Instead, I chose new sheets. The soft, dove-brown flannel ones, adorned with pirates. I smoothed the loose creases, fluffing his pillow, and folding over the top sheet and comforter.

An invitation.

I thought of my mother, and how she did the same for me. Soft, yellow sheets, draped like a benediction. My favorite doll nestled close by, waiting for my midnight embraces.

And so, I made his bed. I wanted him to know that even when he's angry, he will still have a soft, warm pirate-sheeted place to fall.


15 comments:

Katie said...

this short post is what being a mom to a boy is all about. exactly.

and I melt.

Alex@LateEnough said...

This is me and my son, too. What a gift.

Adrienne said...

Always do this. The time is coming when the invitation will take a different form and the sadness won't kill you because you will remember doing this.

Tracie said...

*sniffle*

I just yelled at my son and told him to 'GET. OUT.' of my room.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wait until you do the teenager version of this. I think I said I loved this over on FB, but I had to come back to say it again. Love.
xo
(Happy Holidays)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love this....tough lesson....tough to be a mom some days!

Anonymous said...

http://noisycolorfullively.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/a-beautiful-reminder/

Hope you don't mind that I linked to this today.

Thanks Nancy.

Stephanie said...

Oh sometimes it is so hard....You are a good Mama!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just...wow. Thanks for sharing this. As the mom to a boy who seems to be trying to fit every last bit of "terrible" into his last days as a two-year-old this was just what I needed. Thanks

Cameron said...

oh. yes.

John said...

This is entirely sweet.

I have no idea what I'd do in the same situation. Part of me really thinks I'd leave things just as they were, just to see what the situation was in the morning.

Kori said...

Ah, so sweet, and so much love. Far better a lesson, in my opinion.

Julie said...

Oh, if only we could always give our children a warm pirate-sheeted place to fall.

I would give a lot.
Maybe everything.

Yes. I'd probably give up all I have if it meant my babies could have exactly this for always.

Sleep well, kids. And know you can come home. Forever.

Ash said...

Love and logic has its time and place. You're a wise woman for knowing that.

I aspire.

XO

Sara said...

This post made me sigh. It's a perfect post to read at the beginning of the year. We all need to remember that even when things aren't going well, there are people who will make a "soft warm pirate-sheeted place to fall."

Thank you so much for sharing this:~)