Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fluttering and Light

"Three, two, one," I counted out the change, and slid it across the counter.

He cupped his hand and scooped the pennies in. "Thank you," he said. "Room for cream?"

"No," I said, "I take it black. Like my men."

My hand flew to my mouth. A nervous half-bark, half-snort escaped. 

Raising his eyebrows, he handed me my cup. "Surely you can't be serious."

I rubbed my finger around the lip of the cup. Once. Again. He crossed his arms across his green apron, leaned back, and smiled.

A challenge. I twisted a curl, and stepped forward. My hand rested on the counter. "Oh, but I am." I took a sip, "And don't call me Shirley."

I held my breath, watching the words float from my mouth to his ears. They flapped their little syllabic wings. Would they soar? Or plop?

He ran his fingers through his dark hair; his green eyes sparkled. "Well," he said, "It looks like I choose the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

The coffee warmed my hand, as I felt his words. Fluttering, gossamer and light.

It's good to be gotten.

"Well, I'll see you then," I said.

"Looking forward to it."

I stepped into the chill. The warmth never left my cheeks.

(With mad props to the classic film, Airplane.)


And, of course, the folks at Write on Edge, would brought this prompt to the table:

This week, we’d like you to write a post – fiction or creative non-fiction – which begins with a countdown. “Three, two, one.” You pick what the countdown is for. The ideas above are just suggestions. Use your imagination and have fun with it!



23 comments:

Coby said...

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Unknown said...

Isn't that fantastic when you meet a stranger who just gets you. That is the best, it always leaves me feeling warm and smiley.

Tracie Nall said...

Hahaha!

I love it when someone gets my jokes and movie references. It always makes for a good day.

VictoriaKP said...

I love this. I can so relate. I take my coffee black and have to bite back that line all the time. And some times I don't :-)

Anonymous said...

LOVED this! (Loved the movie, too.)

Tricia said...

Love this story! You captured the feelings perfectly :)

Kir said...

this was my favorite, I love a good sexual/friendly tension. I got the "good chills!"

loved it, as always, Nancy :)

Lance said...

"Just wanted to let you know...we're all rooting for you"

"Picked a bad day to stop sniffin glue"

perfect Nancy. Hilarious and well written

Lance said...

"Just wanted to let you know...we're all rooting for you"

"Picked a bad day to stop sniffin glue"

perfect Nancy. Hilarious and well written

Kristina said...

Haha! This was so much fun! I got a really great feel for the characters and loved reading.

katie eggeman said...

This is fantastic. So much fun, This would be fun to follow. Great writing, very creative.

Jenny said...

What a fun read!

Anonymous said...

I like the flirting and sexual tension here. Sometimes a movie allusion can be a huge connection early in a relationship. So on with the Airplane!

Cheryl said...

HA! Best movie ever!!

Thanks for the giggle this morning!

Over, over.

Jackie said...

Fun, light hearted and very flirty! I'd like to see where it all goes if you ever add more to the story.

Tina L. Hook said...

Sweet and funny. My fav moment: "It's good to be gotten".

Venus said...

YES! I can't tell you how many times I've done that... started spouting some old movie reference at a complete stranger and then waited, stunned with myself, to see if they'd get it. Excellent! I also love that your counting was money, and not an actual countdown. Great take on the prompt. :-)

Cameron said...

Snort.

You do light and flirty just like you do everything else, Nancy. With deftness and wit.

I just want to tell them both, "Good luck. We're all counting on you."

Carrie said...

*giggle* this was so funny. And cute. They seem well suited to each other :)

Suzanne Earley said...

Awesome. Thanks for the giggle.

Julie said...

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

What.

Too far?

John said...

Oh, this brought forth happy giggles.

And a darling figure... supple, pouting breasts... firm thighs....

Ash said...

How much more can I adore you?

Oh look, there's a sale at Penny's!