Pages

Monday, December 8, 2008

Oh, I crack myself up.

Last night, over Chinese food, my friend told me she and her husband say the same jokes to each other every single day. For example, he'll come out of the bathroom, wearing just boxers and a T-shirt, bedheaded and sleepy, and she'll say to him. "You cannot go to work wearing that." They both smile, and then do the exact same thing the next morning.

I can relate, because sometimes you have to make your own fun. When it's just you, a toddler, and an infant, if you don't enjoy your own company, things can be grim. So, I crack myself up. Or, perhaps I am slowly cracking. Either way, here are some of the things I've said today that made me smile (at myself).

*Owen and I are coloring. He asks me what I'm doing and I say, "I'm coloring the flamingo. It's supposed to be pink, but I'm coloring it orange. Why? Because that's just how I roll."

*We're driving to the gym, and Owen asks where we are going, for the 700th time in the last five minutes. I turn to him (we're at a red light) and say, "Where are we going, Owen? Where are we going? Wherever God takes us."

*We're driving home, and I'm drinking coffee. Owen asks me for the 701st time in the last five minutes what I am doing. I tell him, "I'm drinking my coffee. Black. Like my men."

So, I enjoy my company. Apparently, I'm the only one. Today, over a delicious lunch of cold hot dogs and carrot sticks, Owen says, "Mommy, you're NOT funny!"

Everyone's a critic.

No comments: