Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Children, some sick

There are too many things out there that are making me sad today. My friend's daughter is still at Children's and they still don't know what is wrong with her. She posted some pictures of her daughter---with all the doo-dads they put on kids when they are in the Pediatric ICU, including a ventilator and restraints--restraints! The part that just broke my heart was when my friend wrote about the new normal of her days. She was talking to her husband on the phone and he said, "Fiona's doing great---she's sedated, and they just gave her some more anti-seizure meds." That is the new version of great.

I have to believe that things will get better. This friend is a distant friend, meaning that we've always intended to get together, but it never quite happened. Nevertheless, I've always admired the way that she is so positive and present with her children. And it's just so hard to see people living a real-life version of House, except without the guarantee that House will swoop in and find the miracle cure.

So, in light of that, understand my petty problem. Owen is supposed to have a playgroup get-together to celebrate his birthday tomorrow. It's the normal group of people that I meet with most weeks. We'll play, have cake, and call it a day. Except. One of my friends is unable to come because her son was exposed to the stomach flu at his preschool. Another one of my friends attends the same preschool, and may not be able to attend, either. A third friend may not be able to attend because her infant son has been getting over an illness, and she's understandably gun-shy about close spaces and germy toddlers. Yet another friend has been fighting illness for the past two weeks. Are you seeing a pattern here?

It sucks to be born in the middle of February. I know that this is just the way things roll, but I love my kid, and I want him to feel special on his special day. I think he will, as long as he has Diego cake, so I guess I should stop fretting.

I mean, I feel guilty for my world spinning on its neurotic axis, when things are so out-of-control for others.

And yes, it stirs up old stuff that I really should be over by now.

So, let me list a few things that are awesome. This is a good exercise for me.

1. My mom and dad are organizing my laundry room for me. This is my birthday present. It will be a-may-zing!

2. Lost is brilliant, awesome, dharma-rific. Every man on the show is hot, and the stories are interesting and full of badassery.

3. My hair is so banging these days.

4. By this time tomorrow, the party will be behind me.

5. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, Fiona will be healthier and stronger.

No comments: