Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Deere Boy

Some Background

Living where we live, Joel sees tractors on a daily basis, and every time, without fail, he bellows, "TRAC-TOR! TRAC-TOR! TRAC-TOR" until somebody finally says, "Yes, Joely. Tractor."

Just for fun, I waited it out one time.  He said "TRAC-TOR!" with increasing intensity and ardor, TWENTY-THREE TIMES. I stopped him because his face was turning tomato red.

In other words, the boy likes tractors.

Cake Wrecks

I have a long and unfortunate history of making frightening birthday cakes for my children.

Owen's 4th birthday brought us the Serial Killer Cupcake from Hell:

Joel's first birthday cake was a blue monstrosity with bad, bad lettering. I shamelessly lied, and told my guests Owen frosted it. 


When I  got it into my head that Joel needed a three-dimensional birthday cake shaped like a tractor, I did the reasonable thing, and begged asked my mom to do it.

Construction

My mother declared that the cake would be made out of Rice Krispie treats. She started her construction.


I did what I do best. That is,  supervise and make smart-ass remarks.


Using her magic and ancient incantations, my mother turned blocks of Rice Krispies into this:


My mom can do anything.

The Aftermath
Well, really, this says it all.

This is my happy TWO YEAR OLD celebrating his birthday today. We had friends over for pancakes. We played in the kiddie pool and ran the sprinkler and squirted water at each other with spray bottles.

It was glorious. Pure, unadulterated toddler bliss.

Mushy Stuff
 
Two years ago, Joel was born. Our climber, our thrill-seeker, our militantly happy miracle.


Joel, my boy, the world is a better, happier, place with you in it. You're my dear, Deere-loving, boy.

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Great cake! I'll have to remember to use Rice Krispies for my little guy--we currently are having a love affair with tractors too! And bobcats, and dump trucks and...

Happy Day Joel!

Rebecca said...

Awesome cake! And he is 100% completely adorable!

Liz Mays said...

That was just so much fun! I really loved the look at Joel over time..he's a cutie pie!

Your cake wrecks are no worse than mine, although that cupcake was...interesting. lol

adrienzgirl said...

Happy Birthday Joel! That was one awesome tractor cake!

Buffee said...

That was an awesome cake! Happy birthday Joel!

I like to sit while Brandee's cooking and make smart ass comments! HA!

The Ninja said...

He is so dang cute! And, tell your mom to plan to come to houston to make my 10 year olds cake around end of October...k??

Jen said...

Awesome. Happy Birthday little dude! :)
Jen at Laughing at Chaos

Melani said...

Happy Birthday Joel! The cake is awesome, thanks for sharing!

michelle said...

I just giggled through the first few picts. Those last shots of Joel are so cute I wanna pinch his cheeks and squeeze him til his head pops off.

Happy Birth Day

Minivan Lover said...

Super fun party- thanks for the M&M's. What the HELL was that marshmellow cupcake thing suppose to be? I mean that in the nicest way possible...

Cat said...

Happy birthday to Joel!!

Your mom is awesome! Boy hits 2 in a month and I keep re-looking at baby pics... makes me want another (not right now though!).

Beth Zimmerman said...

His pictures always make me smile! Reminds me so much of Josiah when he was little!

Lothiriel said...

AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEL!!!


"I shamelessly lied, and told my guests Owen frosted it."
LMAO!!!!

Sounds like something I'd do!!!

Coby said...

I am grinning ear to ear at the pictures of Joel - can he be any sweeter? Happy Birthday Joel!

Teachinfourth said...

Marshmallows belong in S'mores, but not in or on cakes or cupcakes. Rice Crispies are awesome, too.

Cheeseboy said...

Wow, that is some massive love for tractors. I like the cake. He must have freaked.

shortmama said...

Wow your mama is talented!

An Imperfect Momma said...

Wow....your cakes are just....hahahahahahaha. Ahem. Sorry. That tractor cake was awesome! And your son is absolutely adorable! Love those cheeks! :o)

Debbie said...

What a cute post. Now, 23 times is a lot to say the word tractor!

Jenny said...

Oh, Happy Birthday to this darling little fella. And what a fun cake history you shared with us. I like the first one...very, very creative...and I can soooo relate to the vision not quite coming together in the actuality.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I can't get over how adorable he is!!! Happy birthday, little Joel!! TRACTOR!!

LB said...

Your mom rocks! You, however, need to stay away from the the mixing bowls. That marshmallow cupcake thingie was scary!

Maude Lynn said...

Happy Birthday, Joel!

cheatymoon said...

Michelle took my comment - although I might just squish him like a bug, he's so darned cute.

Happy Birthday to you boy.
Great cake!

Tracie said...

Cute cake! I'm glad he had a very Happy Birthday!

Alexandra said...

oh, his glasses slay me. SLAY ME. I don't stand a chance around him in person. lord, someone help me know, I'm a puddle...

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) said...

That serial killer cake was AWESOME!!! I truly LOL'd on that one. I'm assuming you were going for an octopus? Or something non-murderesque? Love it.

Happy birthday to Joely.

Your tractor story reminds me of my son. He still will repeat what he's said over and over and over and over until someone acknowledges him and he's almost 4.

One Photo said...

A belated happy birthday to your lovely son Joel. What a fabulous cake and what a wonderful day you had celebrating.