Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

iNancy's iPod

My brother is, and always has been on the cutting edge of the music scene. Invariably, by the time I like a group, he'll have been over them for about six months. I used to try to keep up, but living in Southern Maryland and being a mother has made that all but impossible. When my primary musical influence is Nickelodeon, I must throw in the towel. Uncle Tom (yes, that's his name/title, not a Harriet Beecher Stowe reference) wins the prize of hipper, cooler sibling. Honestly, he's had that title in the bag forever...

Anyway, about two weeks ago, as a present to myself, I bought an iPod. Here are a few of the songs I cannot get enough of...

Black Eyed Peas, "Let's Get it Started.": This song is played at the, um, start of every marathon Paul's done. Every time I see all these people, some in shape, some less in shape, taking on the challenge of 26.2 miles, I get teary. It's just so inspiring. I play this song when I'm on the treadmill, and it's makes me want to meet a goal, such as run the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler this April.

Missy Elliot, "Get UR Freak On": I feel mildly subversive, while playing play-dough or putting together the "Land Before Time" puzzle for the umpteenth time (with Owen--fun as these activities are, I choose not to do them on my own...), to have Missy Elliot rapping, "Who's that BITCH??" in my head.

John Denver, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy.": "The Sun's coming up, I got cakes on the griddle, Life's ain't nothing but a funny, funny riddle, Thank God I'm a country boy." I used to make fun of my mom for liking John Denver. Maybe a little fiddling and whittling is just what I need. Or some of whatever he's smoking. Future employers: joking!

Sufjan Stevens "Come On! Feel The Illinoise!: The World's Columbian Exposition / Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream": Sufjan Stevens has taken it upon himself to write a concept album for every state in the union. Yes, Tom introduced me to this artist. The Illinois album has a lyric "Chicago, in fashion, the soft drinks, expansion Oh Columbia! From Paris, incentive, like Cream of Wheat invented, The Ferris Wheel!" It just makes me happy that there are people in the world who have the time and inclination to be esoteric, eccentric, and self-consciously smart. Kinda like Tom.

And, oh! to make this kind of a full circle thing, Sufjan Steven's brother is a world-class marathoner.

Owen moment of the day: Owen was at his friend's house, washing his hands after using the potty. His friend, Danielle, came in, and announced that she needed to go potty. She sat on the little potty, while Owen sat on the lid of the big potty. He held her hand as she attempted to do her business. She was straining in an attempt to get it out (little kids do this---Owen often has veins popping out of his neck with effort), and I thought to myself that my little boy will be a very good labor coach someday.

No comments: