My husband is a runner, meaning that he:
1) Runs a minimum of six to ten miles a day. On weekends, it's usually somewhere in the teens. He runs in any weather. My neighbor once said, as kindly as one can say this, "I saw your damn fool husband running uphill in the hail!"
2) Dresses like this. And yes, like this individual, Paul has been known to rub Vaseline on his legs and nipples to prevent chapping and/or bleeding nipples. (I think he should have bleeding nipples once in his life. Fair's fair. Just sayin'.)
3) He blows snot rockets while he runs.
I am also a runner, but I'm a lot more low-key. If you're new to running, or want to try it, I suggest the following:
1) Join a gym that has a decent daycare. A hour break from your children should be ample motivation to hit the gym.
2) Play mind games on the treadmill. Run at a certain speed for a certain time or distance. Move up and down. It breaks up the time and is good cross-training.
3) Or--better yet--do ipod playlists and run at certain speeds for certain songs.
The stupider the better.
My present playlist has "Bad Romance," by Lady Gaga, "Ray of Light," by Madonna, and "I'm Gonna Knock You Out," by LL Cool Jay. I've also got, "Stronger" by Britney Spears and "Don't Stop Believing" (Glee version), because they are inspiring.
(I want the world to know that I listen to hipster cool stuff when I'm not running.)
Finally, don't drink coffee before your run. That is, unless you like turtle races.
What are your fitness tips? How do you get motivated? And what the hell is Zumba, anyway?