Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Share A Spoon: Hey, Big Tuna!

I asked adrienzgirl to make fish the theme of her weekly recipe party, Share a Spoon. 

Think Tank Momma

For my own good.

I hate fish. The skin, the itty-bitty bones, the smell, the fishy taste...it's a one-way ticket to Shudder Central.

And, Oh My God, if you serve it with the head and eyes still attached, I will dry-heave right  in front of you.


I knew you really needed a visual. It's just like this, except I'm not a dog.

I can be a bitch, but I'm not a dog.

I digress.

I don't like fish... unless it is tuna-melt form. That is awesomeness. Of course, it's totally unhealthy, but I'm doing my best here, people.

This recipe comes from Paul's late Grandma Selby.  Here she is with Baby Owen on a trip to Wisconsin the summer of 2006. I miss her. That's Paul's Grandpa with her. He still drives himself to dialysis every day in the Wisconsin winter. That's a man.


She was a marvelous cook, if not a detailed recipe-writer. For example, here's a typical (bonus!) recipe from her files, written verbatium:

Jelly Roll
Beat two eggs, add 3/4 cup sugar, pinch salt, 1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/3 cup hot milk. Bake 10 minutes in a hot oven. 

If I attempted to cook this, it would be catastrophic.

Luckily, the fish recipe is more detailed, and it is awesome.

Grandma Selby's Tuna Burgers

1 can tuna
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients. Fill ten hamburger buns. Wrap in foil. Bake at 400 degrees 15 minutes.

I swear to you, these are the White Castles of fishy burgers.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

For me, it's the smell. I cannot stand the smell of fish. It makes me hurl like that dog! I can tolerate tuna. Or fried shrimp because all the fishiness of the shrimp is fried out!

I love the smell of the sea, but when it comes to a fish on my plate, no thank you. Eck.

DUTA said...

I too cannot stand the smell of fish, and yet, if I wish to maintain normal weight or go skinny, fish is the basic dish on my menu and everything else on the menu is built around it. In my opinion it's the best dietary and healthy food item.

adrienzgirl said...

So like I said on my post, if your fish smells....FISHY, you shouldn't really be eating it. Fresh fish isn't really too fishy. The lighter fishes, white and flaky ones, are the easiest to start with. The are mild in flavor. The other thing that causes fish to smell really bad is over cooking it. fyi

Funny enough, I will eat some fish, but TUNA? FISHY FISHY...just can't.

Try tilapia, basa, or something light and white. Ask the fishmonger behind the counter, he will give you suggestions.

J said...

You bake the mixture inside the buns? Sounds warm and delightful. I love the word fishmonger. I consider myself a fishstickmonger.

Anonymous said...

I agree that tilapia is pretty good for the non-fish-lover. These burgers sound pretty yummy. I do always love a good tuna melt. My parents made a good salmon-burger with dill when I was visiting them.

Unknown said...

i'd never thought of baking them in the buns like that, but sounds sooooo good!

Cheeseboy said...

Fish of all kinds is my favorite food, so naturally I do like this.

I bet your not much of a bitch, but that was a funny line.

shortmama said...

That sounds so good...of course I love me some fish though...but not with their heads still on. I dont want them watching me while I gnaw on them!

Coby said...

Her jelly roll recipe is hilarious!

I may have to try those tuna burgers - they sound really good! Like a good old Midwestern recipe. Or like my Idaho relatives' recipes, where everything has cream of chicken soup in it, but tastes wonderful (except for the peanut butter pork chops)

Claudya Martinez said...

I don't like warm tuna, but I would like these cold.

Holly Lefevre said...

3 fish recipes that I think I can handle from Think Tank Momma's meme! Yeah. This sounds yummy!

Holly
504 Main

Marla said...

I like fish and you crack me up!!