Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

MAH Boy

Joel has discovered the word "mine." This is right on target for a two year old, and especially unsurprising for a second born.

He has had items of great importance--bottles, pointy sharp tacks, pharmaceuticals---ripped out of his hands with no regard to his own desires to drink, electrocute himself, or trip the light fantastic.

I imagine him in bed, late and night, stroking his chin and mumbling, "There will be a reckoning for this. Oh, yes!" 

Thus far, his nefarious revenge plot mostly involves the redneck battle cry of "MAH TRUCK!!" It doesn't matter if it is toy or real, it is MAH TRUCK and one best recognize, bi-otch.

Sometimes he mistakes the "T" in truck for "F." Hilarity ensues.

When he is not claiming the trucks in the world, he is getting fabulous. Owen was never one for dress-up. In fact, any attempts to do so were met with wailing and finger-pointing.

As you can imagine, Halloween is awesome.

Joel, on the other hand, changes his clothing two or more times a day. I watch him, feeling like a duck who hatched a flamingo: "I don't know what to do with you, but aren't you fun to watch?"

Here's typical Joel couture. Part of him "making it work" is to have Lightening McQueen be the classic staple of all outfits.  I can't explain the pose, however.

Another treasured item is the apron, which he always dons when playing at his toy kitchen.


And then, there's this. My sweet boy, emerging from his baby cocoon with gusto, but with quiet moments of grace as well.

He sits at the table for sometimes a half hour at a time, drawing.
He talks to himself as he creates, saying, "Momma, Dadda, Ow-Woo!" He points to the scribble which represents each person, and smiles to himself. Even when in his own world, he is still firmly in ours.

26 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

He's certainly got a style of his own! :)

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

Love this post. Love everything about it. And most esp. this line, "Even when in his own world, he is still firmly in ours." So true. So very very true.

Macey said...

That kid is ADORABLE!
His fashion sense is close to my boys'...Lightning McQueen is a staple!
Last year, when my baby was 3, he carried a stuffed bassett hound around with him that he called Freckles. Well, Freckles sounded like Fuckles. And he said it a lot. In the library. It was awesome.

One Photo said...

Lovely post, your love for your little boy shines through every word.

shortmama said...

His "mine" and my girls "how comes" make a real treat!

dek said...

My new goal is to use the phrase "like a duck who hatched a flamingo" in conversation daily. Pure poetry.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. This was wonderful.

Tamara Dawn said...

Awww he is so cute! I love love love his little glasses! Lightning McQueen is a favorite around these parts too!

Anonymous said...

Umm, I cannot get over the pose in that first pic!! Fab. U. Lous! So cute. As always.

Rebecca said...

I totally love it when my kids use scissors, glue and markers for hours on end. It's totally worth the mess that ensues.

Anonymous said...

Leo once worked in an area of town where, as a heterosexual, he was a minority. One of the guys he worked with once told the story of how growing up, he and his brothers would be at baseball games, them in hats and gloves, him working his macrame.

As an adult he is often asked, "...so your parents really didn't see this coming?"

We make that little inside joke about a million times a day with our little guy.

I'll post a picture of him in all his fabulousness someday soon.

Joel is fabulously perfect with his super style and love of trucks.

Coby said...

Funny - I hardly even blinked when looking at his crazy little outfit! I think you can get away with that with boys more so than girls, and it's not quite as notieceable. I've often dressed my twins like that without giving it a second thought!

Mel said...

He is adorable. Fabulous. Too cute. I miss mine. He's all grown up and not the least bit cuddly anymore! thank goodness for the videotapes so I can remember how sweet he was!
Love the art. Very colorful.

Jen said...

He is about as cute as they come and I think my ovaries just perked up. I smacked them back into submission. Love that first picture. LOVE. :)
Jen at Laughing at Chaos

Ducky said...

I rather imagine gazing at his smile and suddenly all is right with the world....

Erin said...

He's so adorable! Thomas has several posts on the blog entitled "Fashion by Thomas" But Joel has got a good jump on him!

An Imperfect Momma said...

He is so cute! I love the apron picture!

Salt said...

You definitely have a budding fashionista on your hands. I'm thinking maybe Lagerfeld for Halloween!?

Minivan Lover said...

Nothing but love for that Joel! I was reading this last night and josh said, "did you put those glasses on him?" I was confused for a minute, but then I said, "That's not Parker." sometimes our boys look so similar!

Anonymous said...

Did you get even more clever and witty while I was away or have I just missed you too much?

PS I can't see too many picture of this kiddo. Too cute.

Unknown said...

He is more precious than I can say. Can I borrow him? I will trade you one of my ornery girls....

rebecca said...

This kid's got personality. Love that he's already unique...love it! Definitely will not be a follower and will sing to his own tune, drum to his own drummer, and that is just TERRIFIC!

He is gorgeous and you are blessed....loved this post. Loved it. And thank you for introducing us to your Joel....

Shell said...

Oh, he's SO stinkin' cute!

My 2 year old says "Mine, mine, mine" but he sounds sort of German, like he's saying "Nien, nien, nien." Dh calls him our little Nazi(dh is not even the slightest little bit politically correct. I've learned to roll my eyes and move on)

Anonymous said...

Oh, he just as cute as a button!!

All my boys LOVE dress up. I always thought it was a girl thing, but obviously its not.

One of my 6 yr olds tells me he's an artist. And he'll sit there forever drawing, painting, cutting, coloring. I love it!

Mommy Wishdom said...

He is so cute! I love his glasses, my goodness he looks cute enough to eat. (You know in a nibble his cheeks kind of way, not a Im gonna take a bite kind of way - that was clear right?) What a wonderful little boy. : )

Unknown said...

Oh girl, he's so cute I want to kiss him and I just "met" him - he he!!

My oldest is like this with outfits and he's 6. Somehow he makes it work for him though.

I love it!! :-)