Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Red Writing Hood: Gaping Hole

Those dastardly ladies at the red dress club thought it would be fun to toy with me this week.

The Red Writing Hood challenge is:

Write a morality tale based on forgiveness but written with the fantasy genre in mind - create a whole new world comprised of supernatural phenomenon.

Seriously? Fantasy is not my friend.

That is, with the possible exception of  Orlando Bloom. He can be my friend anytime.

***
Gaping Hole 

"Look," I said, pacing back and forth,  "I've been a tooth fairy for three years. I've done bicuspids. Molars. Lateral incisors. I think I know what I'm talking about."

Sprite pushed down his glasses, placed his quill on his mushroom desk, and smiled softly. "Drake, nobody is questioning your talents. You  have harvested more teeth than any other fairy in the glen. You're good. Thanks to you, we had a record harvest of dentine and cementine."

He chuckled softly to himself. "Yet...I can't help but  remember your first trip out..."

Ah, this again. I forced my lips into a smile, and played along:  "I really thought I had found treasure in that glass. I was sure-"

"You were sure that plastic teeth soaking in green salts were going to make you King of the Fairies!' He laughed openly now, his gossamer wings shaking as he gasped out the words, "You said, 'We're rich, Uncle Sprite! We're rich!'"

I sat down on the acorn chair across from his desk. "What can I say? Rookie mistake."

He winked, and leaned forward, "My boy, those false teeth couldn't power a dandelion, let alone the entire glen! So, remember that, Mr.I-Know-What-I'm-Talking-About. "

I laughed, mainly for his benefit. Clearing my throat, I stated, "I believe I've more than made up for it." I ticked off each point with my finger, "Who tipped you off about the Osmond Family? Gary Busey? Hilary Swank? The National Hockey League?"

He nodded, "Yes, my boy. Thanks to Busey alone, we were able to power up the entire Redwood District. You've always had good instincts. It does, after all, run, in the family."

I stood up, puffed myself up to my full six inches. "You know, I have more ideas. Well beyond finding celebrities with unfortunate teeth. We could really take this to the next level! We've already started with harvesting the cemeteries....it seems logical that we would harvest the..."

Sprite held up a hand, "Don't say it. Just--"

"I'm not finished!" I said, "All those teeth...all that potential power...just sitting there..wasting away. I can't believe we are talking about this again! Or more specifically, not talking about it again."

I ran my fingers through my hair, gestured towards the bar, "Do you mind?"

Sprite opened his hands, "By all means, son." I poured myself a nectar, drank it in one swift gulp.

The familiar liquid softness did nothing to slow the pounding of my heart, the energy pulsing from my head to my wingtips. "Will you just consider the idea?"

He frowned, his eyes dark unrepentant caverns. "No, Drake. No I will not. We are fairies. We are not monsters. It's a---"

I pointed a finger in his face, my voice steely, "I know, I know, it's a business. We take the teeth when they don't see, we pay them a handsome fee. GROW UP, Sprite!"

I turned my back to him, my fingernails cutting into the palms of my hands, "They don't need them all, anyway," I mumbled. "Just a quick yank, a bit of blood, and the toothy riches could be ours."

I felt his rooty knarl of a hand rest on my shoulder, "You have had so much taken from you," he whispered. "I haven't forgotten. First your father's accident.. And then her. I'm so, so sorry that she never came back."

Mom. She left for England years ago. Seeking riches, seeking teeth. Plenty of both there. 

I turned to him, and whispered, "It's just not right." I bowed my head. "It's just not right at all."

He held me and said, "You're right. It isn't right." He pressed his forehead against mine and whispered, not unkindly, "But, my boy, learn from her mistakes.You can't take things from people. You can't take away a childhood. You can't take a living tooth.  It always, always leaves a gaping hole."

20 comments:

Nancy C said...

I totally based Drake on Pete Campbell from Mad Men. Did anybody else see that connection or am I just losing my mind?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Not sure I got that on the first read. Maybe I don't pay enough attention to Pete. I'm too distracted by Don's hotness.

You knocked this one out of the park, Nancy. Again.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, dear, you did it!

I have to say, I wasn't sure how you were going to pull this off. I was even a little skeptical about it being not ridiculous when I started, but you sold me with: "his eyes dark unrepentant caverns."

I held my breath to the end where I felt it in my elbows! Love it! One of your best yet!

"It always, always leaves a gaping hole." *head shake* Brilliant!

Joann Mannix said...

You are fabulous!

I read the Red Dress prompt and was all, "Are you freakin' kidding me?". No way was I going to attempt that.

But your attempt was stellar. "Seeking riches, seeking teeth." Brilliant.

I did not see Pete Campbell, but I wasn't thinking Mad Men, I was thinking tooth fairies. I'll read it again, although, I too am quite blinded by the delicious Jon Hamm.

Mommy Wishdom said...

Nancy - I don't watch Mad Men (I know I am the only one NOT wtahicng that show) so I couldnt get the connection, but I trust you. This was excellent. I totally chickened out, but you did a great job!! Good work.

The Drama Mama said...

I don;t watch Mad Men either, but I really love the story. I was thinking more like The Rock as the Tooth Fairy, and its still a good picture. Wonderful story.

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Bravo! Love the last line!

Cristina said...

I haven't watched the show either but loved your story

Stacey said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Very nice!

One Photo said...

Well we share two things in common - fantasy is not my friend either and I also love Orlando Bloom, especially blond with a bow and arrow or whatever the correct term is :-)

Great great take on this theme. I love the way you always throw some great quirky lines in that give your stories such an edge, like discovering the Osmond Family and pouring himself a nectar. I've never watched the show Mad Men either so can't comment on that part but your two characters came through loud and clear.

Anonymous said...

that is an awesome take on the tooth fairy legend :) Loved it!

Also didn't get the Mad Men thing but that possibly because I have never seen the show. I keep thinking I should, so many people rave about it

Coby said...

I've never seen Mad Men, but I'm beginning to think you have a thing for Gary Busey.

I loved this - the opening had me laughing out loud. This was quirky fun!

Cheryl said...

Loved it! Fantasy is so NOT my friend either. You did a great job - I don't watch Mad Men (I KNOW!) so it was lost on me. ;)

Macey said...

So good! Love that you made the toothfairy a boy, because srsly, I always thought the toothfairy WAS a boy. Everyone tells me she's a girl...

Smee said...

As the daughter of a retired dentist, this is way thumbs up!

Unknown said...

I wasn't thinking Mad Men when I read it, but now that I'm going back over it, I'm nodding my head like YEAH.

;-)

Snuggle is right, you knocked it outta da park. And I pussied out. Yet again.

StarTraci said...

Interesting -- truly! I have really liked what this Red Riding Hood group has done. (Maybe I'll get brave and try...)

I love that you created an adult story around the Tooth Fairy. Good work.

:-)
Traci

P.S. I am soooo there with you about Orlando Bloom!

An Imperfect Momma said...

SIgh...Orlando Bloom...wait. Where was I? LOL.

Wow...that was great! Loved how you...well...loved everything :o)

Mama-Face said...

You are the best.

His mother left for England. bwahaha. I almost lost my false teeth.

erika said...

Brilliant!