Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Friday Fragments: Cell Phone Edition

Ooooooooooooooh! A themed Friday Fragments! Be still my heart!

This week, I will piece together all of the random pictures I've finally downloaded from my fancy-pants smart phone for your Friday Fragment pleasure. Thanks to Mrs. 4444 for hosting!

Mommy's Idea

***
Yesterday, we journeyed up to Baltimore for Joel's Urology appointment. See?


We waited for an hour to see the doctor. The nurse apoligized for the delay, explaining that they were looking for a Burmese translator, thus the holdup. I didn't quite understand--did the doctor just kick back and light up a ciggie while the nurses worked out the Burmese translator nonsense? I don't pretend to understand modern medicine...

Anyway, while we waited, Joel did what he does:
He climbed on shit.


He monkeyed around and drank milk in direct defiance of the "no food or drink signs."

He acted cute. (And by the way, yes, I do know that he looks like Ralphie from A Christmas Story).

The doctor examined Joel's junk, and, I swear to God, Joel laid perfectly still, let the doctor examine his scrotum, and got a big ol' boner.

The doctor didn't even blink. I was mortified. I think Paul kinda dug it.

The doctor made this medically precise diagram:


This is meant to explain that Joel has excess fluid in his left sac. Bottom line: surgery is on January 8th.

***
We went on a field trip to the grocery store not too long ago, and a highlight was seeing an actual lobster:



Owen declared that lobsters are our friends. Yes, Owen, our delicious friends. 

***
Sometimes, when I'm feeling a little blue, I like to go shopping and try on fancy cocktail dresses. I would never buy such dresses because they are too expensive, and I have no place to wear such things. Yet, it makes me happy to feel a bit like a princess. (Perhaps I would lose the socks and glasses. And maybe even wash my hair. But, you get the idea...)



***
This is not only a rule for our house, but really an overarching rule of life: If you don't do bad things to other people, bad things won't happen to you. Pay it forward, and all that.

Owen asked Paul to write this down, so that he knows his rule (Don't throw toy trains in the car) and Paul and I know our rule (Don't throw toy trains in the trash can as punishment).

***
Happy Friday, everybody!

22 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

If I could I would buy that dress for you.

erika said...

I love the doctor's art work. Did you really need a visual to understand 'excess fluid in left sac'? Maybe s/he just wanted an excuse to draw some testicles.

Formerly known as Frau said...

You are rockin that dress! I always seem to try on dresses and swimsuits the day I'm wearing black socks! Scary white legs and black socks not pretty!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Cat said...

Cute dress!

Great doctor story! I remember the first time I changed a diaper and was greeted with Mr. Happy- and I couldn't do my usual mama research because I was worried googling anything with baby erections in it was a recipe for having the FBI bust up on my internet history.

won said...

I always find it funny when I see myself having tried on a dress with socks on!

BTW, it's very cute.

Keeping good thoughts for Sam's upcoming surgery.

Anonymous said...

I love the dress, but what you're really rockin are those socks...

When I need a break, I try on shoes. I start with red ones. I have no place to wear red stilhetos, but I sure do feel sassy putting them on!

And, your boys are precious. We'll be praying for the 8th.

Martha said...

Good thing the doctor has a law degree, he would not make it as an artist!

annies home said...

he is becoming a list maker and yes he is so cute and looks exactly like ralphie you look great in the dress as well

Caution/Lisa said...

Just go ahead and put a camera up in your house. You know your life is reality t.v. potential. Maybe a year from now, the whole world will know how good you look in cocktail dresses and socks.

Dumb Mom said...

This is my first time here, so I'm gonna be all ignorant and ask questions that a couple of hours of my blogstalking could probably uncover. 1)Do you live near Baltimore, 'cause I do too!, and 2) is your Hubby named Paul? 'Cause I know a Paul:)! And, I do the cocktail dress thing too. When I have time. Which is like never. It rarely works these days, though b/c I find myself dangerously close to busting the back outta every dress I try on with my hideously fat back. But, it used to be fun.

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Is that an Ann Taylor Loft dressing room???

You looked GREAT in that dress. Maybe you can make up an occasion to buy it for? I have *not* (cough cough) done that before...

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Boys. Boners. Yelling PENIS all.the.time. Did I sign up for this, or is it a cosmic practical joke? ;)
Love the dress. :)

Stacy Uncorked said...

You look HAWT in that dress! Socks, glasses, unwashed hair and all! ;)

The doctor's visit cracked me up - good thing he's not an aspiring artist...and I'm with erika - did you really need a visual to understand the excess fluid? Good luck to your hubby on January 8th.

Joel is SUCH a CUTIE! And yes, he does look like Ralphie - which is one of mine and my hubby's favorite movies to watch this time of year. ;)

Love the 'rules' - bet Princess Nagger would be on board with listing the rules, including us not putting stuff in a box to sell on eBay if she doesn't put them away... ;)

Happy FF! :)

MrsSki said...

I love that dress...it looks great on you even with the socks. :) Shopping is my therapy (usually Target) and because I get great anxiety in dressing rooms (too hot, too small, too depressing because I'm not the size I wish I was) I usually walk around looking at other things I don't have any use for like...baby stuff for a child I do not have, haha.

Wow, I think I almost cackled when I read about Joel's ah-hem during his exam. And that doctor really should abstain from drawing anything. I hope everything goes well in January.

Aunt Becky said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but when you talk about him getting a boner, I just can't help it. I'm sorry.

Bekah said...

You may get boners, but with two girls, I hear a lot about boobies and "'ginas".

Mrs4444 said...

I love the socks-It cracks me up, because we've all been there, right?!

Per Frau's comment: I don't have scary white legs, just scary hairy legs.

Good luck with the surgery-funny boner story, too :)

Nikia, May and da kids said...

That Joel of yours is the cutest little boy with those glasses. I guess doctors are use to the boner thing ; P

Oh man what a nice pick me up, shopping! What girl doesn't love a new dress or to be pictured in a new dress??

May

Liz Mays said...

You looked great in the dress, socks or no socks.

I hope all goes well for the surgery and I'm sure he'll be climbing on shit all the way up until the surgery and shortly thereafter. :)

Corrie Howe said...

Love the photos. My favorite is the rules.

Tracie said...

Did the doctor think you were the one who spoke Burmese. Thus the need for Pictionary?

PS You look cute in the dress!

Mama-Face said...

Imagine me saying this in a sing song voice...best friday fragments ever.

I love the dress; you are adorable.

ps. enjoy all the little surprises that come with little boys...there will be more.