Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Clean Green or Be Damned (My Gift to You)


For those who have interest...


Clean Green Recipes

You will notice that many of the ingredients for the following products are the same.  These products were what people used to clean and disinfect before the industrial revolution.  Your own Grandmother may have used some of these methods in her own home.  These products are easy to make and use.  They are very inexpensive, and harmless to children and pets.

Anti-Bacterial Spray- Add 20 drops of lavender or tea tree oil per every 2 cups water in a spray bottle.  Spray areas and allow it to sit for a few minutes before wiping up.

Sink Scrub- Make a paste out of Baking Soda, a squirt of liquid soap, and a couple of drops of lavender or tea tree oil. Scrub and rinse.

Un-clogging a Sink- Pour 1 cup of Baking Soda down the drain, and then follow it with 3 cups of boiling water.

Rust Away for Tin or Aluminum- Use ½ of a potato dipped into salt, and scrub.

Copper and Brass Polish- Ketchup.  Allow it to sit on the metal for a few minutes, and then rub with a soft cloth.

Silver Polish-white tooth paste

Oven Cleaner- Make a paste out of equal parts Baking Soda and liquid soap, and a little hot water.  Scrub

Oven Clean-up for Fresh Stains- For liquid spills use salt.  For greasy spills use baking soda. 

Window Cleaner-Combine 3 TBSP. Vinagar to 2 cups Water in a spray bottle. Spray and wipe clean with news paper.

Furniture Polish-Combine 3parts Olive oil to 1 part Vinegar in a jar.  Shake well before using.  Massage into furniture using a soft cloth.

Carpet Stain Spray-Combine 1 cup Vinegar, 1 cup Water, and ½ cup Baking Soda in a spray bottle.  Spray /Dry/Vacuum

Fresh Carpet Stains- Cover the stain with a heavy coating of salt.  Allow it to absorb the stain and dry.  Vacuum up.

Carpet Freshener- Sprinkle the carpet liberally with Baking Soda, then add a couple of drops of essential oil of choice.  Allow it to sit for an hour or so, and then vacuum.

Mold and Mildew Cleaner-Add 2 tsp.  Tea tree oil to 2 cups water.  Can be used in a spray bottle or in a bucket.

Whitening Method for Laundry-Soak white overnight in a bath made of 1:10 parts white vinegar: water, rinse in clear water and then wash in machine.

Laundry Soap-Combine 2 cups of grated soap (Octagon) to 1 qt. of boiling water and stir until the soap is dissolve completely.  Pour into a large bucket and then add 2 cups of Baking Soda and 2 cups of Borax.  Stir well then add 2 gal. Of clean water.  Stir, and then add to containers. Shake before using.  Add ¼ c. to each small load of laundry.  ½ c. per larger loads.

Fabric Softener- Add ¼ c. White Vinegar and 3 drops of Lavender oil to the final rinse.

20 comments:

michelle said...

where does the bong water come in?

Nancy C said...

Add liberally to all. Than dance with your bongos (naked, naturally) until you produce enough sweat. That causes the extra shine.

Liz Mays said...

First up on my agenda: print this out. Second...unclogging the sink!

Marla said...

Ok, this is super cool!! Thanks!

Cat said...

Yay, thanks!

You and Michelle crack me up!

Claudya Martinez said...

Thank you for sharing this.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Thanks for sharing all great and easy to put together. Have a wonderful Thursday!

Sonya said...

I need to stock up on the oils. Thanks for the list!

Traci said...

Thank you. I hadn't seen this post when I posted on Cold Comfort Living. May I re-post it with a link to you? This is exactly what I wanted. You rock the green world!
:-)

Cold Comfort said...

You rock! I have you all linked up. This is better than anything I had found online. (Well, I guess I just found this online but you get the picture! LOL)
:-)

Anonymous said...

I had a dream last night. I was planning a baby shower and it was for you and you were my neighbor and we were hanging out and the characters from the book I'm reading for book club were all there and it was very strange and fuzzy.

It was strange, but not ironic. This post is evidence of why my subconscious thinks we would be baby shower throwin', neighborhood friends.

Of course, if you did live in my neighborhood, you'd probably cross the street to pass my house. I'm the rarely showerd, pajama wearing, recluse who always has a different child in tow. It's all very suspicious.

Rebecca said...

They all sound easy and with using the oils .....pleasant!

Stephanie said...

I haven't had any bong water on hand since about 1987. :-P

Thanks, Nancy! I'm bookmarking this article.

Melani said...

Thanks! Now I need to write all this down and keep it with my loved recipes for food! I don't have a printer, so I will have to hand write it, thanks again!

Corrie Howe said...

Now bookmarked, if I decide to stop being lazy and go green....or even to clean.

Muliebrity said...

Do you know if the laundry soap can be used in HE (front load)washers?

Coby said...

This is why you are Nancy Freakin' C! I really want to try the laundry soap, especially for my kiddos' clothes. Thanks for posting!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Great list! I'm going to print this out and keep it in my kitchen. These are fabulous tricks! Thanks.

And thanks for your kind words on my blog today. I really appreciate it.

xo

AudreyO said...

I'm thinking by the time I made all this, there is no way I'd want to clean LOL

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

great recipes, but i was desperately awaiting the one with butt sweat...where is it?

no seriously, thanks for this! i am going to print it out and post in on my refrigerator. looking forward to trying these for reals.