Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sundays in My City: The Breath of the Wind


Things are good. Back-to-normal kinda good. Joel is back to his old tricks, confounding  fellow toddlers with his death-defying antics.

Of course we were at Panera, and because Panera Bread is the high school cafeteria of Calvert County, we naturally ran into a friend.

This boy is one month older than Joel, and behaves as befits his mature age. He sat in his chair, ate his bread and juice, and as my child attempted to jump into the fireplace, he looked at him and thought, "Kid, what the hell is your problem?"

Like I said, back to normal...

***
Well, almost. While Joel was having his surgery, Owen spent the weekend with his grandparents in Virginia. They actually live in King George County, "The Gateway to the Historic Northern Neck," but we met up with them in Fredericksburg. 

Fredericksburg is ridiculously historic. George Washington was born just a bit south. His mother had a house in town. It is the also the site of a Civil War bloodbath--The Battle of Fredericksburg. Almost 20,000 men lost their lives---and I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

I think of these men (and, especially, the women and babies they left behind) as I walk these streets. I don't dwell, but I recognize their whispers in the slate rooftops and the aged glass windows. The Decemberists song, "Yankee Bayonet" haunts my mind:


But oh my love, though our bodies may be parted
Though our skin may not touch skin
Look for me with the sun-bright sparrow
I will come on the breath of the wind.

There's a lot of sorrow in these streets. Yet, they support my feet and bring much joy.



For this what people do--we create art and absurdity.



We eat and drink, while watching the world do its busy little dance.


We refuse to be smothered. We grow. We improve. We inspire.

 

We will always, in some way, be with the people we love. For we come on the breath of the wind.

Thank you, Unknown Mami, for allowing me to show off my city. Stop by her page to hear other stories.
Unknown Mami

27 comments:

Adoption of Jane said...

HAHA! I love Sorry Mom Tattoo!!

Unknown said...

The Sorry Mom tattoo is classic for sure!
I REALLY like the picture out the window, looking at the museum. Frame it!
And i truly love the way you describe such simple things, in ways i hadn't always thought to look.

DUTA said...

Joel and the other boy in the picture are so cute! So is the toddler (no face seen)in the picture with the two tall men.

The story of Fredericksburg is interesting though sad because of the civil war. Thanks for sharing it.

Rebecca said...

Those are all some really great photos! Thanks for sharing. My camera needs a new battery.......oh well. One of these days I'll share my city....ha ha

Like the others said "Sorry Mom Tattoo" is a classic!! Love it!

Sounds like your little guy and my little guy needs to get together for a playdate. Joey is such a little stinker that he's always the rotten one when we go out.

Julie said...

What a wonderful post with some very heart felt reflections on life. If Fredericksburg is ridiculously historic, it is most certainly the place for me. I am a history tragic.

Thank you and take care.

Ms. Moon said...

You and I share a sensibility, don't we? We see much in the small.
In Tallahassee there is a tattoo place called "No Regrets." I like that one, but I think "Sorry, Mom," beats it.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I've never been that far north, and there's nothing that old around us... most of our city was burned during the civil war. We do enjoy a good reenactment any time we have a vacant plot of land. You know, the South will rise again and all.

Glad everyone is healthy and happy and back to death defying stunts!

When did I become my Mom said...

Beautiful.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Love these photos! The best one is of your adorable son. His glasses are the greatest!

Corrie Howe said...

Lovely pictures. I'm glad Joel is back to normal.

The Rambler said...

Enjoyed knowing this part of my country. As I so far from it.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

I know for certain I love the way you write out your thoughts about the city you are in (and the pix aren't too shabby either). More than that, I love that Joel is back to being a regular kid doing regular kid stuff = )

I love the red brick roads. Makes the place look very British somehow.

May

Joanna Jenkins said...

Glad things are getting back to normal. It's good to see Joel's smiling face.

Have a great week!
xo

adrienzgirl said...

Joel looks to be recovering quite nicely!

Cat said...

Love the tattoo! Also love the Decemberists, really, almost everything they've done. Good choice of songs.

Marla said...

What a wonderful post and your pictures are hauntingly beautiful. I definately want to visit your city some day.

michelle said...

I love the 3 generations shot. And of course the tattoo parlor.

So glad to see Joel wearing his blue glasses

Claudya Martinez said...

I love the first picture. Joel looks so happy and the other kid is so judgmental. I'm kidding, you know I'm kidding.

Cinda said...

So glad that your son is doing so well! Whew!! I loved how your recognized the "whispers" as you walked the streets. I heard them in Savannah. We can barely hear them on the west coast....

Cinda said...

So glad that your son is doing so well! Whew!! I loved how your recognized the "whispers" as you walked the streets. I heard them in Savannah. We can barely hear them on the west coast....

Cinda said...

So glad that your son is doing so well! Whew!! I loved how your recognized the "whispers" as you walked the streets. I heard them in Savannah. We can barely hear them on the west coast....

Sonya said...

Joel is a boy after my own heart:) I thought I was alread following you but I can see that I wasnt. I need to go back and read what was wrong with Joel. Im glad he is feeling better.

I always love your posts and the things you say. I wish I could express myself as good as you do:) Have a wonderful week!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Great pictures....love seeing Joel's smile! Happy he is better! Happy New Year!

AudreyO said...

Glad to read the little guy's doing well :)

Minivan Lover said...

Yeh for Joel and your future grandchildren! ;)

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

Wow, your writing and photography in this post are both equally amazing. You are incredibly talented all the way around, Nancy!!

Tracie said...

Sorry Mom Tattoo is the best!

Every time I see a picture of your son in those little glasses I have the urge to smooch him. He is too cute. (I'm sure you are aware of this.)